God made each individual in a unique fashion, and when he redeems someone it is for specific purposes. God calls us to various missions and tasks through our lives that together compose the unique reason he chose us. Though those calls often come as a surprise, in many cases God has already offered us knowledge about ourselves that may fuel our prayers and prepare us for his next call.
Discerning this knowledge takes a good deal of thought, prayer, and usually conversation with trusted mentors and advisors. Though this is large and serious quest, I offer six simple questions to get you started. I have found these half-dozen questions to be among the most profound, useful, and revealing.
(Let me also give credit where credit is due. I didn't come up with these. 1 and 3 are from Lee Spitzer; 2, 4, and 5 are from Will Mancini.)
1. What are the 4 to 6 most important milestones in your life?
2. What accomplishments have meant the most to you, even if others wouldn’t be impressed by them?
3. Who is your favorite Bible character and why?
4. What bothers you the most about the world that you would change if you could?
5. What one thing would you do for God if you knew you couldn’t fail?
6. What do your answers to questions 1 through 5 have in common?